Don’t worry if you are completely new to navigation, if you want the basics in a one day course, the Nav Taster Day is the right course for you. It’s also good for people who want to become more confident but already have some basics.
The Navigation Taster Day course is usually a Saturday starting at 9:00 and finishing around 16:30. The course is practical, hands on and most lessons are conducted whilst on the hill with moderate walking in easier hill walking terrain. A Nav Taster day covers most of the same basic core content as a Foundation course, but simply misses the second day of practice and assessment. Ideal if you can only spare a day!
After booking you will receive a confirmation, directions and more information about the course in a welcome email.
Not sure about something? Please feel free to email us at email@example.com
To learn to the basics of map and compass skills in a single day.
Choose a Location and Book your Taster Navigation day
We run courses in the UK’s stunning National Parks, choose the area you want to do your course in. Either choose somewhere local and an an easy commute, or a new area you would like to experience, your instructor will advise you of great walks suiting your experience.
You want to learn
- One day taster introduction to navigation
- Easy navigation principles and basic tools and techniques including scale, time, distance, direction
- Map types, orienting a map, basic map reading, using features, contours, grid references and navigating using a map
- Compass fundamentals and basic usage, how to take and follow a bearing
- How to plan a trip, choose a route and move safely within your abilities
- Emergency procedures and what to do in an emergency.
What you will need to bring with you for your course.
If you have any questions you can email your instructor after booking and they will be happy to help. Why not visit our shop for our approved equipment as used by our instructors?